Planning things to see and do while in a new town or country can be pretty daunting, so I’ve put together this short guide on what to do during your stay at the beautiful Alpenrose Hotel & Gardens in Wilderswil.
First off, let me tell you why you should stay at the Alpenrose Hotel & Gardens in Wilderswil…
The Alepenrose Hotel & Gardens
This beautiful hotel is situated 3 minutes walk from the Wilderswil Station, making it the perfect place to stay if you’re looking for affordable accommodation that is close to fantastic attractions like the lake district of Switzerland, Interlaken, or the highest train station in Europe known as Jungfraujoch.
When booking your stay at The Alpenrose Hotel & Gardens, I’d highly recommend booking a ground floor suite, which has direct access to the stunning gardens that are maintained by South African owner, Carl.
Being at ground floor level, you’ll also have quick access to the communal jacuzzi, which is also situated in the gardens. We enjoyed a glass of bubbles inside the jacuzzi while our sore backs and butts were massaged by the jets.
Breakfast in the mornings is a self-served continental breakfast with a range of cereals, breads, cold meats and cheeses. The coffee is REALLY yummy too, so make sure you grab a few cups before heading out to enjoy the area.
The Alpenrose Hotel & Gardens also serve a great Swiss Dinner at REALLY affordable prices, so if you’re not looking to head out of the hotel, make a reservation to eat in-house.
What To Do close to The Alpenrose Hotel & Gardens in Wilderswil
1. Take the train up to the Highest Altitude Train Station in Europe, Jungfraujoch or otherwise known as “The Top of Europe” which is situated at 3,454 meters above sea level. If you’re fit and able to hike in that high altitude, I’d suggest hiking the 45 minute glacier walk to the restaurant at the end for an ice cold beer.
2. Explore the picturesque village of Lauterbrunnen which is only 15 minutes away on the train and has a waterfall flowing down into the village which is a truly amazing sight to see!!
3. Take the train from Lauterbrunen to Wengen and enjoy an adventure through a few tunnels and up a steep mountain that has views of waterfalls and the incredible countryside down below.
4. Take a walk along the beautiful canals of Interlaken too, which have incredible views of the surrounding mountains reflecting on them, as swans and ducks swim up and down past you.
5. Hike from the quaint village of Wengen down to Lauterbrunnen, which is an hour hike down and probably a 3 hour hike up, so catch the train to the top if you’re not fit or the weather is bad.